Wednesday 20 June 2012

BLOG 4-ORDER OF THE GARTER

BLOG 4 - THE MOST NOBLE ORDER of the GARTER


Monday 18th June. 2012
I had the privilege of receiving a ticket to the Order of the Garter ceremony and procession through a dear friend’s mother. At first I was torn between losing a much-needed day’s school teaching wages and attending a once in a lifetime event up close and personal. After battling the London crowds for a view of Royal events recently and at last years Royal wedding, I had almost given up hope (not for want of trying) of ever seeing with my own eyes and not by watching events back in BBC iPlayer, a royal and regal procession or ceremony. Finally lady luck played its part in allowing me to reschedule a booked teaching day and without the prediction of impending monsoon June weather, I had one of the best days in quite some time. Everything fell into place; I didn’t get that Sound Of Music Bahrain gig whereby I would have been currently rehearsing, the National Rail enquiry, where I was connected to a call centre in India had no idea what or where Windsor castle was which led me to Waterloo station where I received the information I needed including a cheap rail ticket, all meant I was in for one of my ‘tick box’, ‘I was there’ moments one rarely gets in a lifetime. However, I have been blessed with a few of those in my time.
Clutching my prize ticket as if I had won the lottery, Margaret led me to the viewing area directly opposite the St George's Chapel doors where dignitaries and Royals would enter and the procession with all its regal pomp and ceremony was to pass right before my eyes. I have to say that I detest having to use a camera for that ‘money shot’ instead of savouring the moment, seeing with my own eyes the object of my desire instead of through a lens, but capture these moments I must to remind me in photo diary format the amazing things I have witnessed, done and savoured in my days. I soaked up the atmosphere, the sun, the pageantry, took photos on my new camera, (even though it doesn’t click very fast or zoom closer than I had anticipated) and relayed the up to the minute details, a commentary of sorts, for the PC standing in front of me who was not allowed to watch because she had her eagle eyes focussed on the masses. What a day, and then Margaret and I moved quickly to the chapel for a wander through or as one of the clergy said and ‘Ikea tour’ of one of Britain's most historical chapels where none other than King Henry VIII and Jane Seymour, amongst other Royals and military knights are buried. Margaret and I found a nearby pub to sup on a sumptuous ploughman’s lunch and we polished off a bottle of fine Pinot Grigio. I came away from the day feeling satisfied that all my Christmases had come at once, I knew more about the history behind this ceremony, saw in the flesh on this day happy Royals as they were indeed smiling, saw many an aged Knight of the realm, politicians and the Order of the Garter members. The next day at school I regaled in brief my tale, and I am still pinching myself on how fortunate I was to attend this truly and historical memorable event. Thanks to Margaret and my dear friend Robyn for this wonderful opportunity for which I am truly grateful.  
  History of the Most Noble Order of the Garter
In approximately 1348 Kind Edward III during his claim to the French throne founded the highest order of chivalry, the Order of the Garter. This honour is bestowed upon recipients of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth. Members include the Sovereign, the Prince of Wales and Royalty i.e: the Duke of Edinburgh, the Princess Royal, the Duke of Gloucester and the Duke of Kent with officers of the Order and 24 Knights and companions. Knights have been found listed under the date of 1344 and the motto of the Order of The Garter is ‘Honi soit qui  mal y pense' meaning 'shame upon him who thinks evil upon it'. There are numerous tales of how this order of the garter came to be but it was discontinued and revived many times over the centuries. The Sovereign is the only person who is able to grant membership and the Prince of Wales is known as the Knight Companion of the Garter. The order can include supernumeraries who do not count towards the list of 24 companions and reigning European monarchs are admitted to the order of Strangers. Members usually join as a result of the military service or public office but historically knights were limited to the aristocracy. Members are required to display a banner of their arms in the Chapel, together with a helmet, crest and sword and an enameled stallplate.





  



  

  









No comments: