Tuesday 10 April 2012

THEATRE AND CONCERT REVIEWS 2011

 THEATRE AND CONCERT REVIEWS





Brilliant-what a star and a huge fan! A friend from Australia told 
me to go along, which I couldn't really afford, so I was thrilled 
I had the opportunity. If you like cabaret and singer/ pianists 
from NY (he was born in Texas) this is truly amazing and Billy is
accompanied by a bass player. It's a wonderful venue and I will 
happily go back there again. If the shows are at 8.30 you can 
order pizza's (Pizza Express) and have dinner at the table 
(7.30pm) in the venue which is downstairs on entry. 
The Mel Tormé songbook isn't performed often so it was 
instructive as well as an entertaining evening to listen to 
Mel's songs in context. Mel is one of the genius singer/ 
songwriters of our time.


What a pleasant surprise this play was. It was recommended 
by a friend so I went along to find my colleague Twinnie-Lee 
Moore in it in her first play (instead of musicals). It was 
brilliantly acted and directed and I thoroughly enjoyed the 
space and it's acoustics. I met the writer who discussed 
with me the new way (the most common device) of 
writing historical pieces with modern language to 
give the characters a feeling and presence of that's how it 
was back in the day but very much in the now. It was much 
better than I expected and the audience gave it a standing 
ovation. As a result I will go back to the Southwark 
playhouse and keep a close eye on their choice of shows.


Top Girls-Studio 1 at Trafalgar Studios
9-Aug-2011



There was lots of arguing onstage but well acted even though
I have no idea what it was about? A whole group of women 
around me all of the same mind-wondering what it meant? 
We couldn't piece it together. I worked out the order of events
but it just didn't come to a point, at least for the audience. 
The man next to me thought it was the 'I hate men club' 
story but who knows? Great set, (bad placement of the 
chandelier-which blocked the view) well acted but once again 
the fault lies in the writing. No point writing something the 
audience doesn't understand? It's the first time I have been 
to Studio 1, which is a lovely venue. One wouldn't want to 
get a heel caught in the gaps below our feet where the 
row in front is? Health and safety?


Two Boys at London Coliseum   
26-Jul-2011



I wish I could choose no stars for this one. As an ex-opera 
singer I had to leave at interval (the first time I have done this)
it was so dreary and utterly boring. The music writing was 
repetitive and lethargic and an hour could have been cut off 
the timing because it took so long to move the storyline along. 
Some lovely voices but the use of the opera chorus was 
embarrassing and I can't believe the ENO with the arts 
funding cuts, took this one on! What a waste of money and 
how self indulgent the writing of Nico Muhly and Craig Lucas. 
I'm all for investing in new works but the ENO need to pick 
and choose quality new operas. So disappointing.


The Jermyn street theatre seats are incredibly uncomfortable 
so it's hard to sit still whilst one's feet don't touch the floor but 
that didn't detract from the wonderful class acting moments 
and choice of two plays in this performance. Simple, yet clever 
setting, well-directed, staging and brilliant actors. One 
empathises with the characters and storyline. What a joy!

Respect La Diva at Garrick Theatre
10-Sep-2011


This is a tribute show which doesn't really know where it 
belongs in the genre. There are some great and fabulous 
voices (one of the lead voices really shouldn't be on the bill 
except for the one character which it is represents well) 
but considering this is in the West End, some of the 
choreography and direction isn't up to the standard of 
other musicals but then again it is a concert? The second half 
is more 'get up and have a dance' to well known songs which 
is a lot of fun but it misses the mark with some of the costumes, 
staging, children coming on with candles, the Mindy character 
(don't know what that was about but it really fell flat and quite 
embarrassing), poor writing and naff moments. Andy Abrahams 
does the best he can with his script but I felt for the 'Divines' 
who have to wear some incredibly unflattering outfits. Is this so 
they don't shine against the leads? Good concept and we don't 
have anything like it on the West End at the moment but it does 
have a short run and I'm not sure it will pack in the audiences.



John Leguizamo - Ghetto Klown at Charing Cross Theatre- 5 Stars

20th November 2011.

What an extraordinary energetic actor and autobiographical 
self written, self performed work. He has managed to write 
and perform four one man shows which have been performed 
on Broadway. For an esteemed film actor who has had much 
experience on what does and doesn’t work, this certainly does 
as it displays vulnerability, it’s pacey with bold and brave choices, 
uproariously funny, moving,  poignant and emotionally charged . 
He doesn’t disappoint and his show includes personal 
anecdotes, comical well choreographed dance routines, 
impressions of the other actors he has worked with and the ups 
and downs of his personal and professional life. He is 
inspirational and I was blessed to meet him after and ask him 
where he gets his energy from to do a two hour show-his reply 
was running. So, I am going to take that on board and run!






No comments: