Friday 27 April 2012

THEATRE AND CONCERT REVIEWS APRIL 2012

THEATRE AND CONCERT REVIEWS 




Buddy Rich 25th Anniversary Concert 2012 at London 
Palladium 
3-Apr-2012


I thought I had died and gone to drummer heaven listening 
to some of the greatest drummers alive. Seriously! I had
no idea what I was in for even though a friend is the 
producer. It wasn't until we heard the opening strains 
of brilliant jazz that I realised what an incredible 
evening this would be. 4 hours of shear delight at the 
outstanding drumming skills with the likes of Dave Weckl, 
Ian Paice, Ginger Blake, Gavin Harrison and my 
favourite...Prince's drummer John Blackwell. Tony Christie 
was a surprise guest and a host of other talents during 
the evening with the highlight being the drum off at the 
end with 6 drummers drumming their hottest solos. 
A truly wonderful evening hosted by Buddy Rich's 
daughter Cathy and producer Toby Cruse. 


Jackie Mason - Fearless at Wyndham's Theatre 
10-Mar-2012


This is the first time I had seen Jackie and in fact I had 
never heard of him before. I find stand up comics 
often dull and I don't laugh. I have comedian friends 
whom I don't find funny and have to make excuses 
not to attend their shows and I also don't find black 
humour funny at all. Rowan Atkinson is brilliant and 
American slapstick humour is the one for me. 
WELL, I LAUGHED OUT LOUD AND SO HARD that 
I had to cough at times. I thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed 
myself. I haven't laughed that hard in years and I was 
pleased to do it. I have had some miserable times of late 
and work in some miserable places, so the laugh was 
just what the doctor ordered! There were 2 ladies in front 
of me who thought I was too much but I wasn't going to 
apologise for it. That's what one is there for isn't it? 
To laugh at a good and seasoned comedian? I though 
Jackie was brilliant and seeing I have spent so much
time researching Jews and their history, growing up in a 
Jewish area and attending a Jewish populated school, 
I thought the Jewish gags were spot on and nothing is 
funnier than a person making fun and having a laugh 
at their own kind and the numerous cliches that go 
along with it. It was so refreshing to hear him being
politically incorrect and sometimes we need to hear that 
in the right environment. He was saying what a lot of 
people thought but in a softened way and it wasn't 
malicious by any means. Sometimes the PC, which I 
have to live everyday, being careful about what I say 
and monitoring one's thoughts is stressful. There will be 
a time in the future where you won't be able to think
anything about anything that isn't PC because big 
brother will be monitoring your thoughts. What talented 
and gifted professional 75 year old NY Jew comedian 
who brought sunshine into my life. They don't make 
them like that anymore!  


Hay Fever at Noel Coward Theatre
25-Feb-2012


Wonderful production and cast. There is much hamming 
up in this camp production. The son and daughter 
parts were a bit over the top but then again maybe 
they are supposed to be? Jeremy Northam was the 
true star for me with his brilliance and resonant voice. 
Intelligent wit from the writing of Noel Coward which 
requires concentration and it's a lengthy play. 


The Trial at Greenwich Theatre
22-Feb-2012


It was a good attempt at physical theatre with committed 
actors but the piece didn't really work and wasn't riveting 
enough to keep me there. It came off like a good student, 
low budget, workshop piece but I have to say I wasn't 
enthralled. It was my first time at 'my local' Greenwich 
theatre so I hope this isn't their thing with modern, 
experimental, non commercial, avant-garde pieces? 
The theatre was less then half full but I can see many 
drama students coming to observe the production values 
and critique the work.



Shakespeare Unbound at The London Theatre
19-Feb-2012


I was the only audience member at this matinee and 
felt very special. I attended the informative play 
'Shakespeare Unbound' at the new venue: London 
Theatre in New Cross which is available for hire at 
reasonable rates (that's the Producer in me talking). It 
was very intimate and I had to interact as the 'Ghost Of 
The Future'. I was happy to be in the audience and 
participate with actor and writer Colin David Reese. 
The piece ran for an hour and I have no idea how he 
remembered the lines (even though he wrote them) 
but he was valiant in his efforts. He only lost a few 
lines but played the character John Heminges from 
Shakespeares' playing group. The play gives famous 
quotes from Shakespeare's plays and puts into perspective 
when and how they were written with fond memories 
from John about the successes and disasters. It was 
lovely to chat to Colin afterward and discuss the 
research of this play.
Master Class at Vaudeville Theatre
14-Feb-2012
                                                                 
Simply sublime. I have seen this show in NZ and 
Australia and it's always good whoever performs it. 
Well written and moving. Tyne Daly is a wonderful 
actress. Thoroughly enjoyed it. 


Pippin at Menier Chocolate Factory
3-Feb-2012
                                                                           
I was only going along to this show because I have a 
friend in it. It's not the best written shows with some 
very dated performances having been done in the 70's, 
which no-one understood. I was more than pleasantly 
surprised, I was thrilled with this brilliant production which 
makes sense of this book by setting it as an interactive 
video game. There were superb performances in singing, 
dancing and acting from the leads and a very strong 
ensemble cast whose restaged Fosse choreography was 
simply, breathtakingly good. Everyone around me was 
delighted by this amazing production with intelligent and 
creative special effects lending itself to a stellar production. 
I can't recommend Pippin enough and the creative team 
has done a wonderful and successful job with this show. 
OUTSTANDING! 



My Name is Antonino Calderone at The London Theatre 
25-Feb-2012
                                                         
This play should be listed as a rehearsed reading. Tim 
Woodward did his best with this overly ambitious script 
but even he, as an accomplished actor struggled and 
ended up having to read it whilst losing his place at times. 
If a actor is struggling it will be because the piece is 
under-rehearsed or that the fault lies in the writing. It was 
very difficult to stay focused with all the information which 
is unfamiliar to the audience and in the end, one has no idea 
what is going on under the guise of a dictaphone recorded 
confession. There has been much research done with the 
various Mafia families but it is not presented in a story like 
fashion for people to relate to, or easily follow. I don't anyone 
who would be able to memorise this script and best of luck to 
anyone who can. I do though, see this script as a lecture to 
university students or simplified as a film script with flashbacks 
of the various scenes and characters. The Italian names all 
become a blur without visual reference points and scenes. 
The staging too needs more action and pace in order to keep 
the flow of a story.

Love for Sale at Madame JoJo's 
23-Apr-2012 

                                                                                                               
I went to Amelia Cormack's show 'Love For Sale' last night 
and was quite literally blown away by her formidable and 
extraordinary talent. What a voice, which displayed flawless 
technique and exquisite skill. Her soul, which she bared 
throughout, was poured into her acting with flair and she 
excelled in her superb comic timing. Such an extremely 
talented young star. James Millar's writing was skillful, 
sound and accomplished in every way with subtlety and with 
that had us laughing out loud and crying in our Pinot Grigio's. 
So proud to see these talented young Ozzies coming 
across to London to seek their fortune and spread their 
wings in an artistically embracing community and
environment full of opportunities. I'm so proud my heart could 
literally burst with joy. 



John Oates at Islington Assembly Hall 
28-Apr-2012 

                                                       
John is one sexy rocker dude. In great voice 
(better sounding than his 'signed' CD which I bought-he 
does sound a bit rough on it) he said that he will tour 
with Daryl Hall next time-hurrah! He sang a variety of 
styles and didn't disappoint: Blues, bluegrass, folk, 
country, rock, rock 'n' roll and R & B. The music ranged 
from well known pieces to influences from his childhood. 
Great value and such a treat for 2 hours of pure joy and 
delight. It was such a treat to hear a consummate 
professional and his talented band.

Candi Staton at Islington Assembly Hall 
5-May-2012 

                                                        
The Islington Assembly Room has turned into a fantastic 
venue for rock, pop and bands. It's small enough to be 
able to see unrestricted and has a great vibe, even though 
it's a hall. I sing the song 'Young Hearts Run Free' as a pop 
audition piece for shows and it was truly wonderful to hear 
the Disco, Blues, Gospel Diva 'Candi Staton' sing her original 
hit. What a treat that she was here in London and on 
audience club. The band and backing singers were 
sensational and once again I thoroughly enjoyed bopping 
to a Disco legend. She's still got it and she sounds fabulous!



Written on the Heart at Duchess Theatre 
5-May-2012 

                                                        
Written On The Heart by David Edgar is a superbly written 
RSC production with an outstanding cast, set, lighting and 
direction. I was in the front row and in complete awe whilst 
watching a lesson in great classical acting. I have walked 
away being inspired to learn this skill (which I have limited 
understanding of) and the need for a greater knowledge/
understanding of these types of scripts. A great lesson in 
history as well as the martyrs who gave their lives/ shed 
their blood for what they believed in and the freedom to 
practise/ write about their version of the Bible. 
Stuff of brilliance.
Travelling Light at National Theatre (Lyttelton) 
6-May-2012 
                                                             
Great to see Sue Kelvin in the cast of 'Travelling Light' 
at the National. A delightfully enchanting, nostalgic 
Jewish tale with Motl Mendl as the protagonist. Set in an 
Eastern European Shtetl he denies his Jewish roots 
with his foray into cinematography. Great cast and direction 
with me in tears as a result. Beautiful piece and very close 
to my heart.




11 March. 2012




Very capable performers who didn't gel together and 
through line which is such a shame.  There was no 
over-arching story the piece has no line and despite 
the vignettes being well written, it didn't all hang 
together. There was no point, what-so-ever having 
the 2 dead people in it and it looked naive having them 
there.  Much more work is needed on this piece in 
terms of writing. Just because one can write novels, it 
doesn't mean one can write a script or musical.