Wednesday 1 August 2012

OLYMPICS FENCING 1/8/12

LONDON OLYMPICS

FENCING at Excel. 1st August 2012

My friend Julia in Sydney invited me to attend fencing. Not being a sport I follow and having only seen it in movies I was looking forward to the spectacle where I could relish the skill and speed of this sport which is dominated by the French and Italians. When tickets were on offer in London I jumped at the chance to see the sport again. 12 years later the layout was quite different with 4 matches happening at the same time on very colourfully lit mats. The men were fast but sometimes hesitant, waiting for the right time for a thrust. A skillful sport, this requires perfect timing, a long lean body and agility. I enjoyed the men’s matches far more than the women’s because the ladies high-pitched screams throughout were non-stop. It was disconcerting and hilarious. The ladies didn’t scream to assist with effort and thrust, they screamed after as if to congratulate themselves? A friend Caroline commented that this is the ecstasy of murder (historical representation), which explains a lot. A lovely 70-year-old something British gentleman next to me was attending a few events and whilst chatting to him (in between him falling asleep) he asked if Australia had any National sports. Quite  taken aback I looked at him in dismay wondering where he had been in the last 70 years because he commented on our cricket team. I said we had quite a few National sports, rattling off a long list, and then proceeded to inform him that every country suffers from the older stars having to leave their sport and waiting for the younger athletes to come up through the ranks. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Fencing.