Tuesday 7 August 2012

SOUND OF MUSIC PROMO 7/8/12

SOUND OF MUSIC PROMO

Stevenage Shopping Centre. 7th August 2012


Photo by aquabumps.com...Cable Beach Blues.

It’s exciting to be playing the Mother Abbess in the Gordon Craig Theatre’s production of the Sound Of Music. It’s one of those shows similar to Les Mis, which has escaped me in my performing career. If I couldn’t be Maria in my youth it’s lovely to play the next best thing which is the Mother Abbess and sing Climb Every Mountain. A dream sing. We have started rehearsals and it took a few days to learn the Latin but it is now sinking in. There are lots of top-sop notes and a top C at the end of the show so I’m pacing myself and trying hard to wrap my vocal chords up in cotton wool, not be chatty whilst making sure I sing everything in at the same time. Climb Every Mountain sits quite low in my classical range and it’s a temptation to chest belt the notes which is not the right technique to be used for that song but I can chest belt the notes in some of the other songs.
We open with the Nun’s chorus, which is beautifully written, and Chris Keen’s arrangements are a treat. I open with my solo Latin lines which are indeed solemn sounding however, I need to use my relative pitch to make sure I start in the correct key and stay there! The photos on this page are of the Nuns and Mathew Waters as Rolf hitting the Stevenage shopping centre to promote the show. We sang along to a track of the recent Palladium cast, mingled with the crowds and a few of us did some interviewing on camera with the locals. I had a great start; the yoke of my costume was tucked in compared to everyone else’s so it’s a good thing I’m Mother Abbess because it didn’t matter. It’s good to be the head Nun!