Thursday 2 August 2012

OLYMPICS JUDO 2/8/12

LONDON OLYMPICS

JUDO at the Excel. 2nd August 2012

Whilst not being able to get most of the ticketed events I actually wanted I took this opportunity to attend sports I wouldn’t normally see and one of these was Judo. I had a thought that there would be some form of martial arts involved but no, it was likened to wrestling where the opponent’s aim was to get the opposition lying on their back. I was fortunate to have a young fellow named William next to me who also hadn’t seen the sport but he talked me through the point scoring for certain throws which was really helpful. We exchanged quite a bit of banter and had our favourites but William’s family would be attending around 20 events and they were very lucky to have received a huge amount of their tickets in the first round of tickets. The highlight of the day was seeing GB’s Gemma Gibbons who won her first three rounds and would next be seen in the semi finals. Well done to Gemma who received the Silver medal for her event.